Christmas is Still Fun! Entry #8

     As Christmas is right around the corner all I can think about is, wait Christmas is in 20 days! I am still considered very young as I am only 19, but I somehow feel so old. I remember stressing in November that I still haven’t made a Christmas list and constantly thinking about all the goodies we were going to make when Christmas came. Christmas was genuinely so exciting and was my favorite time of the year. Don’t get me wrong, Christmas is still the most beautiful time of the year, and definitely one of my favorites, but after sophomore year of high school, it has gotten less “exciting” for me.


      Every single year I have found it harder to think of things I want for Christmas and a want to participate in Christmas activities. Not because I don’t want to, but because I don’t feel like I have time anymore, as I’m focusing on school and work. Out of all 5 of us kids only 2 are still under the age of 18 and are close to being adults. As we grow it’s normal to not want to do the normal activities we did as kids, because we’ve found different interests. It’s sad to think about, but it’s not sad at all, to think why this is happening. 

              I cannot speak for everyone, but I personally never had that many interests making it harder for present ideas when I got older. I never got into makeup and don’t care for expensive brands as I’ve always been a thrifting kind of gal. When I was a child, you could buy me a Littlest Pet Shop and I’d be thrilled, but as I grew out of that stuff, I didn’t know what to want. Growing up in high school I always asked for shoes, clothes, money, or anything big I didn’t have the money to buy for myself. Once I was out of high school, I had all these fashionable shoes I never grew out of, so I felt complete. When I started to make money, I started to give more. I thought more about what I was going to buy everyone else I’d forget to think of what I wanted, and my dad’s presents to me turned into a smart tv and paying my insurance for 3 months. I wanted more presents that could “help” me out rather than “want”, and they felt more of a “treat”.

              Although Christmas isn’t exciting in the way it used to be, it still has its reasons for being a magical holiday. I get to feel giving and show the people I love how much I love and know them. It allows me to spend time with my family even though sometimes they’re a bit chaotic. It’s not about Santa coming down the chimney, or getting the new Polly Pocket outfit set anymore, it’s about quality time, and excitement of giving.


               There are so many other enjoyable things I still think of to do around the holiday times like go to Glendale Glitters, head to California for Disneyland, and Black Friday! Ideas like these are all fun, but if there is no time to do them, there’s no harm. Christmas is a time to relax and have fun, but the reality is adults still need to live and must continue to work so they can live.  I like to think of this time as another phase in my life, because once I have kids of my own, those celebrations I had as a kid will start again. It will not be the same, as I will be decorating cookies for them, my own kid’s enjoyment. I hope one day my kids experience Christmas in the way I did as a kid and am thankful to have had parents who let me have my fun as a child.





Comments

  1. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. As children we always got excited about Christmas because Santa was coming to bring us presents for being good all year long. As we get older we lose interest in that. Now that I’m older, presents and things like that don’t mean much to me anymore. I’m just happy to be with family during the holidays. I feel the happiest around Christmas though. I’m not sure why, but I’m not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago I started getting excited about Christmas again, after being unmotivated for almost 5 years. I also feel like it's about quality time and being able to give and see a smile from our loved ones.
    I also didn't know that Glendale Glitters is a thing, I looked it up and it looks like so much fun!!! I've been looking for things to do since I recently moved here, I'll definitely go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas is a beautiful holiday for us and the people around us. Like you I don’t care for expensive items I only care about the spirit of Christmas. Now that we’ve outgrown the receiving side of Christmas it feels even better to be on the giving end. I hope you and your family enjoy your Christmas this year ! Enjoy Glendale glitters !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Special bonds, Special pets